The History of Argo Animal Feeds
Argo’s proud traditions and history spans well over a century through five generations of Goldthorpe’s. The family have been trading at their site at Kirkwood Mill since the late Mr Arnold Goldthorpe purchased it in 1939. ‘Argo’ is derived from the abbreviation of Arnold Goldthorpe who retired in 1956 and passed on to his three sons Hugh, John and Ben. Arnold James (Jim) entered the business in 1973 and soon progressed to taking a leading role from his father and two uncles.
Throughout Jim’s years in charge the business has seen many changes from its origins in Farm Feeds and Argo now produces increasingly for the Pet and Leisure sector.
Now employing over 100 people within the Argo group, our wholesale trade now dominates our activities, and through steady growth over the last twenty years, Argo Feeds is now established as one of the largest family owned Manufacturers and Distributors of Animal Feeds in the North of England.
‘Argo’ is derived from the abbreviation of Arnold Goldthorpe